Monday, March 24, 2014

Eczema, apple cider vinegar, and some tough realizations.

I cannot overcome this eczema/folliculitis combo with my skin!! Having one of these conditions is bad enough, but both of them is just ridiculous! The tsw symptoms are really crimping my lifestyle at the moment. My face is getting back to its bad levels it was prior to MW. Insane flaking, more redness, and the old sores are coming back. This is really disappointing. When I stopped using moisturizers my skin dried out and the sores healed up very quickly. The oozing stopped within 3 days! Someone on ITSAN recommended apple cider vinegar (acv) applied topically to help me with my bacteria problem with my skin. I don't want to use antibiotics forever to help with my eczema yet if I don't I just get really red, bumpy and itchy all over my body. So I started using acv, and you know what? It actually worked! I can tell within a day of using acv it helps my wrists, hands, arms, and legs look better. It stings, but it seems to work. However................ despite the initial acv success, the last few weeks my skin kept getting worse and worse. UGH!!!!! (I'm mentally screaming right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Fine, I'll go back on some antibiotics (minocycline) to help get me under control while I've got some important stuff coming up. Well guess what my skin had to say about that? A big "screw you". Yea, the bumps got better (folliculitis), and the eczema is slowly getting better (it seems slower than before, and this is not good, i hope i'm not becoming resistant to this antibiotic), but i'm still really shitty and I don't know what to do. I just called in sick from work because I look like a skin graph patient on my face. Maybe the acv is ok for my body, but not on my face. For some reason my face just hates anything on it. Anything. Even before I started tsw the steroids quit working on my face. Maybe it wanted more potent ones. Maybe it has to due with me using hydrocortisone cream on my face for 25 years. Yea, maybe that has something to do with that. 21 months into TSW and nothing to show except that I realize that I'm f'd, and I don't know if I will ever be normal. I don't want to be perfect, I just want to be normal. I don't need perfect skin, just somewhat normal skin. That last doc said my eczema was the worst he's ever seen. I don't want to be that guy anymore. I've always been that guy and it has cost me a lot, even though I've been able to overcome it in some respects. I can't imagine how bad my life would be if I lived in another country where this kind of stuff would exclude you from the job market. I'm lucky and I'm unlucky. I've over it. Please end soon!

18 comments:

  1. Sounds crappy. You should be able to control that fungus problem by rotating bleach and acv baths. As in one acv bath (2 cups braggs 15 minute soak rinse well) per week and one bleach bath (1/2 cup bleach 10 minute soak rinse well) per week. And in between doing dss baths (2 lb's dss 20 minute soak) every 2 days and your skin should heal up nicely at this point from the dss soaks. Seems that should keep the fungus at bay and also help heal the face with the dss soaks. And take probiotics daily. That's what I'd do based on what little I know just from reading this post. Just thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I misspoke. I wouldn't recommend bleach baths that often. I do one maybe every few weeks. I have read others that do them 1-2 per week but I only do one if I feel my skin is on the verge of getting too much staph on it. ACV baths are much safer but I find an occasional bleach bath can be very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advise Dan. I don't do baths really. Maybe I should start. Where do people typically get their dss's from? And the whole bleach thing just scares the crap out of me. Thats like the harshest thing I could imagine putting on my skin. Does your skin get really irritated after using it? Wouldn't hibiclens be less irritating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome JT. I was very hesitant about bleach baths myself at first but found them to be fine. They don't irritate my skin but again not something I would do often. Some people won't go there and i understand but even Derms recommend them. In my mind frequent use of hibiclens is a much harsher thing for the skin than an occasional bleach bath every few weeks. Have you looked at the ingredients in that stuff? Damaging to the skin barrier and cancer risks associated with things like fragrance and preservatives like red 40 etc.The dss baths help with fungus growth too and especially if doing an ACV bath once a week if fungus is a real problem. I buy my dss at http://www.sfbsc.com/bulk-dead-sea-salt but if you live in the UK buy the Westlab brand which is local to the UK. Some people just buy either brand on Amazon but you get a much better deal when buying 30-60 lb's at a time directly from the company Check my blog for how it effects my skin and others who use it..

      Delete
  4. Good info Dan, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi JT, I've been on ITSAN for a while, and I also had severe foliculitis, I did bleach baths and they really worked keeping the bacteria at bay. the baths moisturized the skin but the bleach dried out that top nasty layer. 1 a day kept my pimple/sores away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nancy. I'll give a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband was suffered from folliculitis eczema for years, doctor prescribed steroid creams, used black African soap seems like nothing works until he started taking turmeric, he is now free from it for 4 years .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How? In Pill form? Actual turmeric. How much?

      Delete
    2. How? In Pill form? Actual turmeric. How much?

      Delete
  8. Phototherapy!! Please look into it!!
    or Dr. Aron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Hey, yes! I've been on a gaps like diet for 2 weeks. I think it may be working! Thanks for saying something. Have you had success?

      Delete
  10. My husband blend the turmeric and ginger together, I know it worked,tumeric is very good, hope it help, and he is still folliculitis eczema free. They sell in pills too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out Dr. Richard Aron. His success rate is amazing. He's in South Africa but consults online.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Check out Dr. Richard Aron. His success rate is amazing. He's in South Africa but consults online.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had dry itchy on my legs for years that no lotion has helped. I've tried everything including prescription products which help temporarily but the problem always comes back. Foderma serum has significantly decreased how itchy my legs are. I do go through a lot of it, but since it's not as expensive as some of the other lotions, it's worth it. I also like that it doesn't feel heavy or oily

    ReplyDelete