Tuesday, February 11, 2014

3 months MW, 19 months steroid free (mid Feb. 2014)

Not a whole lot to report at this time. Itchy? yes. Red? yes. Miserable? yes. However, at least I'm better than I was in early November. When I was on my vacation I looked horrid with a red, red face and sores that would not heal. Stopping the use of moisturizers really helped in that respect. Also I find that the skin on my entire body is dry, but it seems less bumpy, and less irritated now that I stopped moisturizing. I'm sure that it being winter is not helping the dryness either. I do have a humidifier in the shed. Maybe if I get some courage tonight I'll run outside through the snow to get it and try it out. Sometimes I sleep through the night, sometimes I don't (which is a whole lot better than never sleeping through the night!). Somedays I'm really itchy, and somedays i'm ok. I keep getting this reoccurring folliculitis which is super annoying. Minocycline helps with that. Other than that, just keep on trucking and hope things get better. This summer will be 2 years steroid free and I'm hoping I'll have something to celebrate. I know that some of the itching is mental. If I can stay busy throughout the day I certainly will itch less. But if I get stressed, or bored (which happens a lot), I definitely itch more. I probably need to start forcing myself to be more active and socialize more (without alcohol!). One more thing to add. My neck is still giving me problems due to dryness/flaking/itching. Taking minocycline immediately helps my skin. My hands look better, my neck clears up, my normal eczema trouble areas do better. This definitely shows there is a bacterial problem associated with my skin condition. And other than taking an antibiotic, I'm not sure what I can do to try and mitigate this problem. I change sheets 2-3 times a week. Totally dry off after shower prior to putting on clothes. Use hibiclens when needed. Wear loose fitting clothes. I don't know. Maybe the tsw is just making this worse. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.

Here's a quick timeline of my Moisturizer Withdrawal:
0-3 days - oozing stopped
1st week- really bad skin, uncomfortably dry, not fun! However sores on face healing!
2nd week- really starting to see improvements. Sores healed, redness reduced, still really dry
1-2 months- uncomfortably dry, need to splash cold water on legs, face for pain
3 months- back in the game. feeling better, skin still dry but manageable. No sores on face, redness reduced.

Still waiting for a magic pill,
JT

2 comments:

  1. Hey JT, thanks for updating the blog.

    Glad to see that the MW is giving you some relief. Hopefully summer will bring more beneficial changes once the sun starts shining. It's a long road to be sure. I'm just over 2 years in and hoping that this summer will be then end of my TSW journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason. I've not been on the ITSAN forum since it changed. Your story sounds new to me, and I can't imagine I haven't come across you this whole time. I've been withdrawing for 27 months and not done yet. I saw you mention the humidity of NC somewhere along the way. I'm also from NC, but I live in Tunisia. I go home every summer though. Anyway, I have some suggestions for the folliculitis. I take 1tsp of tumeric three times a day, and it seems to have cleared up that awful problem. I think my e-mail will come up for you here, and you're welcome to contact me if you think I can help out.

    ReplyDelete